Step 1. Remove & Rinse
Remove solids from nappy by removing nappy liner or scraping poo into toilet. If nappy has poo, quick rinse in laundry tub before adding to dry pail.
If nappy is just wet, no need to rinse – just add to the prewash.
Step 2. Daily Pre-Rinse
Within 1-2 days, pop your soiled nappies into your machine and run through a quick cycle or pre-wash cycle with detergent.
Ensure the cycle you choose rinses & drains the water.
Add pre-washed nappies to nappy pail, ready for the main wash.
The idea of a pre-wash cycle is to remove excess soiling, so your main wash is gets more effective results. This is optional, but highly recommended for optimum results.
Night Nappies do need a pre-rinse either in the morning or at the end of the day as they hold excess amounts of urine, so to prevent smells & ammonia build up.
Step 3. Main Wash
Every 2-3 days place your pre-rinsed nappies into your machine for the main wash.
For best results ensure temperature of 40-60 degrees, use a full dose of detergent & your machine is 3/4 full when wet for best agitation. You can bulk up your main wash load with clothes.
Step 4. Dry.
LOW temperature in the dryer is ok to use occasionally. Avoid direct sunlight on hot days as this can delaminate PUL fabrics.
Nappy Washing Advice
- Dry Pail Nappies
- Pre-rinse by hand or quick cycle (which empties the drum so the nasties disappear), then pop your pre-rinsed nappies in dry pail until ready for a full load
- Bulk up your load by adding clothes after the pre-rinse stage
- Wash every 2/3 days ideally, however you can extend this out if pre-rinsing nappies on a short cycle each day.
- Secure velcro laundry tabs before washing.
- Follow the full dose recommendations according to your detergent packaging for heavily soiled items.
- Wool covers need separate washing routine. See our Wool Advice page.
- A good wash routine will prevent your nappies staining or smelly however you may use a booster or stain remover such as Vanish or Sard Soap/Spray Stain Remover after the pre-rinse stage.
- With a great wash routine you should not need to perform a strip & santise, however if you find you have stinky nappies then get in touch with HQ.
- When you find your washing mojo don’t change a thing!
What Not to Do
- Do NOT soak/wet pail any modern cloth nappy products
- Do NOT use chlorine based bleach or fabric softener on your nappies
- Do NOT let sit in the nappy bucket for longer than 3 days
- Do NOT dry in a HOT dryer or leave in extreme summer heat
- Do NOT wash nappies with towels, bedding or sheets
- Do NOT use a short cycle for your main wash