Modern Cloth Nappy Language & Lingo
The world of Modern Cloth Nappies can be a little overwhelming for beginners with abbreviations & words you have no idea about (don’t worry you will be a pro in no time at all!). Here you will find a list of commonly used modern cloth nappy lingo, abbreviations and common terms used in the reusable nappy world.
- MCN Modern Cloth Nappy
- AIO All In One Nappy Style – meaning the nappy is only one piece
- AI2 All in Two Nappy Style – meaning there are two pieces to the nappy. Waterproof shell & snap-in inserts.
- OSFM One-Size-Fits-Most – meaning the nappy has adjustable sizing
- PUL Polyurethane Laminate – the waterproof outer layer of a nappy shell or cover
Recycled PUL – means the waterproof outer layer is made from plastic bottles that were destined for landfill, that have been repurposed into this fabric.
- ROAK Random Act of Kindness
- S & S Strip & Sanitise Washing Method to solve smelly nappies or poor wash routine
- CCN Clean Cloth Nappies – Science & evidence based cloth nappy advice website (the best)
- OTB On the bum
- BBH Baby BeeHinds aka the best
- CC China Cheapie
- NB Newborn
- VELCRO Hook/loop waist closure option. We use superior Velcro brand in our range, whereas most brands use generic hook & loop suppliers
- SNAPS Resin snap buttons that connect together to adjust sizing, waist bands or bag handles
- BAMBOO FLEECE Absorbent material used in inserts (60% bamboo, 30% organic cotton, 10% polyester)
- HEMP FLEECE Absorbent material used in Hemp Fitted (55% hemp, 45% organic cotton)
- PUL Waterproof, colourful layer
- INSERTS/BOOSTERS Absorbent layer which hold urine
- LINERS A paper thin layer used to catch solids for easy poo removal (disposable or fleece)
- MICROFLEECE A soft, 100% polyester layer used as a stay dry layer to wick away moisture from the skin
- SUEDECLOTH A soft, 100% polyester layer used as a stay dry layer to wick moisture away from the skin
- LANOLISE A process of adding lanolin back into a wool cover to make waterproof
- COVER / SHELL The outer, waterproof layer that goes over the top of a nappy or absorbent layers
- WETBAG A reusable wetbag stores soiled nappies. Made from waterproof PUL
- POCKET A feature of a nappy whereby you can add inserts inside the pocket.
- RISE The length of a nappy front to back.
Common Cloth Nappy Terms
- PREWASH A shorter cycle used before a main wash.
- DRY PAIL A type of soiled nappy storage where you do not soak the nappies. Learn More
- STASH Your collection of cloth nappies
- FLUFF MAIL New nappies are en-route to your letterbox
- NAPPY SPRAYER A high pressure hose like Little Squirt that connects to your toilet to remove solids.
- DELAMINATING Whereby the waterproof layers bubble or disintegrate.
- CLOTH WIPES A washable version of a wet wipe, used at nappy change time.